Tackling Vaping Minefields!
With most things in life, there are always going to be stigma and perceptions on everything. Most of the stigma that surrounds vaping comes from media reports and public comments and more often than not, both come from non-vapers and non-smokers alike. However much it can be controversial sometimes, vaping etiquette is something that all vapers can stay in control of and
Naturally, people are going to take an interest and if we’re in a position to play devil’s advocate, then we’ll do just that. In simple terms, if an individual has a negative view of vaping, then naturally, any negative behaviour when it comes to vaping is going to increase that view and make the perception of vaping that much worse. Of course, we don’t want that. We want everyone to love vaping as much as we do, because why not?
As much as it’s our choice to vape, it’s also their choice not to, and it’s up to us (the vapers) to uphold the social contract by ensuring that we vape it in a polite and considerate way. We’ve come up with a few guidelines that can help ensure your vaping etiquette habits aren’t inconveniencing others, and help improve the perception of the vaping community as a whole.
Vaping Around Others
If you’ve been following our vaping bible instalments, then you’ll be more than accustomed to our Smokey tips. If you haven’t then where have you been? You’re in for a treat today because our entire article is full of Smokey tips so let’s get stuck in.
When vaping in the presence of others, it’s important to remember that some people may be affected by the vapour or more importantly, the act of vaping around them. A common misconception that non-vapers do is equate vaping with smoking, however, this isn’t the right time to step in and tell them otherwise, however true it may be.
If you follow our Smokey tips on vaping etiquette, you’ll get yourself off on the right foot as a vaper.
- Don’t get caught up in your cloud productions and end up blowing vapour in others’ faces. Doing so can be seen as disrespectful and is generally frowned upon. Even in cases where the vapour may not be directly blown into another person’s space, it’s a good idea to be careful and respectful.
- Ideally, you would be able to vape and create the biggest and best clouds with no one around. However, this isn’t always the case. When vaping around other people, try blowing the vapour directly up towards the sky or down towards the ground to keep your vapour away from others.
- If you do blow your vapour in the air, be mindful of wind conditions. Your best attempt at trying to be polite might result in the wind blowing vapour directly in someone’s face.
- Refrain from vaping in confined spaces without the consent of the owner and the others sharing that space.
Vaping in Public
This isn’t to be confused with vaping around others. Although it’s very similar, vaping etiquette and regulations have a fine line. Vaping in public tends to have its own set of rules, some of which are already established in legislation.
Let’s take a look at some of the laws currently in place:
- Vaping in indoor or confined outdoor spaces (like patios) is generally prohibited unless given direct consent from the owner/manager of the establishment. However, for the sake of others around you, it’s best to avoid vaping in these spaces altogether.
- Vaping in non-confined outdoor spaces is permitted, but you should be conscious of your surroundings. Passersby may not enjoy walking through a cloud of vapour.
- Be aware of smoke-free areas. Buildings will normally have a set perimeter around entrances where smoking is not allowed. These rules are also applicable to e-cigarettes and should be respected. Pay particular attention to pubs, parks and supermarkets.
- Sometimes locations will have a designated smoking area. It is most polite to vape in these specific locations.
Vaping etiquette near children
It is very important to be cautious about vaping around children and youth under a specified age. Not only could it endorse vaping to minors, but it could also expose them to unwanted substances like nicotine or propylene glycol that may trigger an allergic reaction.
Here are a few things to remember when vaping around minors:
Many regions already have laws in place making it illegal to vape in cars with children present.
Although it’s not illegal, vaping in confined spaces, like houses or rooms, with children is not a good idea.
For the most part, children are not able to control their surroundings. While an adult may leave or speak up if your vaping offends them, children are not able to do so.
We want vaping to be accepted
Vaping is a choice people make, enjoying it as a hobby that cost much less both in terms of health and money than the traditional smoking habit.
As for vaping etiquette in 2019 and further, it’s important to be considerate and respect non-vapers wishes as well as the rules that many venues are now introducing around vaping.
The best etiquette when it comes to vaping is simple – ask if you’re not sure. This way, you know you’re covered.
Remember—it’s not the action. It’s the perception. Vaping etiquette is not about ‘hiding’ vaping but making sure we do it in a way that doesn’t alienate others, vapers and non-vapers alike.